Equal Housing Opportunity

Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents of legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability). -- HUD

Pittsfield Housing Authority practices non-discrimination

Equal Housing OpportunityFair housing is a right afforded to all persons seeking housing through the PHA, whether they are applicants for Public Housing or private market renters receiving Rent Assistance. PHA also makes use of a specific exception to the law to provide housing to the elderly.

Pittsfield Housing Authority does not discriminate against people with disabilities. Several of our  developments have units that are handicapped accessible. We offer a Supportive Housing Program which includes programs for seniors, this program is presented by Elder Services of the Berkshires. We also have at Providence Court Congregate housing program.

What to do...

... if you feel you have been the victim of discrimination, you should report it to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. They have a main complaints page, and a page the describes how to file a complaint of housing discrimination.

Anyone who feels he or she has been

discriminated against may file a complaint of

housing discrimination:

1-800-669-9777 (Toll Free)

1-800-927-9275 (TTY)

The state of Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination also accepts complaints of discrimination in either its Springfield or Boston offices. More information can be found on their web site.

MCAD Springfield Office

436 Dwight Street, Room 220
Springfield, MA 01103

Phone    (413) 739-2145

We do not discriminate, however it is not part of the mission of PHA to investigate complaints of discrimination. If you would like to discuss a problem with us, we will ultimately need to refer you to one of the above government agencies to file your complaint for investigation.